NUS Economics Society Student Feedback Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[CORE][EC1101e] Introduction to Economic Analysis

3 posters

Go down

[CORE][EC1101e] Introduction to Economic Analysis Empty [CORE][EC1101e] Introduction to Economic Analysis

Post  sq_zhang Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Lecturers were Mr Chan Kok Hoe and Dr Connie.

10% tutorial participation - level of participation depends on tutors i think, my tutor just took attendance
30% midterm
60% finals

A very manageable module. Contents covered were largely H2 A level content, wit a bit of H3 stuff as well.
The only major difference is the exam format, MCQs and short answer questions. Use the tutorials as a gauge to possible exam questions.
I think one thing to take note is not to over-write for short answer questions cos the required answer is really short and straight forward, but essay writing training in JC may lead to extremely long answers. (personal experience XD )
For our semester, both midterm and final contained one question from the tutorial questions so it pays to revise the tutorials i think.

sq_zhang

Back to top Go down

[CORE][EC1101e] Introduction to Economic Analysis Empty CORE][EC1101E] INTRODUCTION TO ECONOMIC ANALYSIS

Post  wlymmbe90 Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:45 pm

haha, just to add on. Very Happy
For those ppl who haven't taken H2 Econs for the A levels, I think it is still a good time to catch up, since the contents for this module are generally quite fundamental and important for the higher level econs mods. It is better to clear any inquiries in the early stages. The lecturers, tutors and probably your peers will be willing to help Very Happy

wlymmbe90

Back to top Go down

[CORE][EC1101e] Introduction to Economic Analysis Empty Re: [CORE][EC1101e] Introduction to Economic Analysis

Post  daitarn Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:17 pm

This is a mandatory module that all FASS students who plan to major in Economics have to undertake. Alot of students will use the grade obtained from this module as the yardstick on whether he or she plans to major in Economics. However, I find that the grade obtained from this module is not a true reflection of your ability on whether you will perform well majoring in Economics. In fact the content covered only touches the surface, you do not learn on how all the graphs and theories come about. You have to take the modules EC2101 and EC2102: Microeconomic Analysis I and Macroeconomic Analysis II to get a true feel of what Economics in NUS is all about and whether you will excel in it.

Personally, I did not perform well in EC1101E, i failed in the mid terms. As I advanced up the ladder, taking higher levels of Economics modules, then I start to get a better sense of what NUS Economics is all about and appreciate what I am learning better.

So for those who didn't do well for EC1101E, don't think of giving up yet, try taking EC2101 and EC2102, these are the beginnings of the real deal of Economics that you will learn in NUS. Smile)

daitarn

Back to top Go down

[CORE][EC1101e] Introduction to Economic Analysis Empty Re: [CORE][EC1101e] Introduction to Economic Analysis

Post  sq_zhang Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:54 pm

daitarn wrote: However, I find that the grade obtained from this module is not a true reflection of your ability on whether you will perform well majoring in Economics. Smile)

I very much agree with this.
The material of EC1101E were quite similar to JC economics and not exactly how nus economics is like. higher level modules have much more mathematical grounding. So EC1101E is quite a poor yardstick for estimation.

sq_zhang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down